10/11/2013

A question

Is it wrong to actually want to be noticed?

I used to be outgoing when I was a bairn - lively, talkative, happy, as most childrean are. But that was when I didn't know better.
As I got older and learned more, and had experiences that brought me down to earth, I quickly learnt that saying what I felt and making my mouth go wasn't the best way - I crawled further into myself, until I became much less talkative and shy, because I was conscious of the consequences of actually speaking up.
Now, when I go into a group of people, I try, despite my shyness, to be able to be part of it...but what usually happens is that I can't find the words to say, and because I'm too quiet, I just get drowned out and ultimately ignored by just about everyone. It's partly my fault, because I'm too much of a chicken to open my mouth and make myself heard...but it's also the fault of those in the group when they choose to do absolutely nothing to include me.
The end result? My frustration slowly builds and builds until I snap, and say, act and do stupid things that I don't mean - but I can't help it, because I feel like I'm being made to feel like I'm not wanted.

This is a problem I've had for a long time...I don't want to be the centre of attention. I don't want to brag about how "I'm so good at this, I'm so good at that", because I don't believe I'm that good at anything, and I'm not that sort of person...but at the same time, I don't want to feel like I'm always the odd one out, the one in the corner at the party while everyone else is enjoying themselves.

I try to be friendly to people, and make them feel wanted and welcome...so when people can't seem to do the same for me, it makes me wonder why I even bother trying.

So is it wrong to actually want to be noticed?

No comments:

Post a Comment