31/05/2012

Mayday parade

Five months down, seven to go - and this one's been quite special, for two reasons, which I'll go into in a little bit.
First though, the bad stuff: if I can't find a job by the end of June, the Jobcentre will be forcing me onto one of their "work programmes", which I've been on in the past, and most of them have been pretty soul-destroying experiences, lasting about three months at a time - however this next one could last for two whole years. I can't stomach the idea of having to sit in a classroom with a bunch of people I don't know, being told stuff I already know by some snotty jobsearch tutor who will gladly remind me how much of a waste of space I am to society. I've been there already, too many times.


Rant over - now for the good stuff.


On the 23rd, it was a year since I made my third trip to the US, to Connecticut, where I met my long-time online friend Nicole (thesundoesrise on DA) face-to-face for the first time - what followed were four of the best weeks of my life. I met her family and friends, met up with two DA buddies (Shane Jensen and Leo, aka Ardwick), explored in and around Nicole's hometown of Branford, and also visited Atlantic City, Rhode Island, Boston, stayed with Shane's family for a few days on Long Island, visited lots of beaches, a zoo, an aquarium, and had more than one party plus karaoke in between. Too add to that, my brother Chris and his girlfriend also flew over for 2 weeks, and together we all set foot in New York City. I honestly haven't stopped thinking about that awesome time since I flew back, and I hope to get back there again.


That brings me onto the second special occasion of this month: in a complete switcheroo of last year's trip, Nicole jetted all the way here to the north-east of England to visit me and my brother, for two weeks, and as I write she is still with us, however in three days she'll be leaving, something neither of us are looking forward to. Her time here has been awesome - I introduced her to my family, took her for walks around my hometown and in the Weardale countryside, and we also visited Durham, Newcastle, the Metro Centre in Gateshead, Bishop Auckland, Darlington and the beach and aquarium in Tynemouth. I've really enjoyed having Nicole here, and it goes without saying that I'll miss her very much when she leaves - but I'm not thinking about that right now!


Me and Nicky in Connecticut, USA, May 2011

Me and Nicky in Bishop Auckland, UK, May 2012

Last but not least, as always, a little bit of artwork for you - a trade picture that I did with my good Scottish buddy Andy (aka Granitoons on DA):

"Poker Birds" (Pete/Squawks/artwork © me, Stan/Lonnie © granitoons.deviantart.com)

Speaking of DA, I am no longer known as "appleyard86" on there - DA recently gave deviants the option to change their usernames, so I'm now known on there as "BluebottleFlyer", to bring it in line with my usernames on other accounts. Plus, I never liked the "appleyard86" username anyway.

That's all for May - hopefully June will be fine, and not flaming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment